Re: Job Hunting Stories

Subject: Re: Job Hunting Stories
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:27:29 -0700 (PDT)

The best way to start is hit up your professional
contacts. They may have something, or not. They may
know someone who has something, or not. They may keep
you in mind and spread the word to their friends to
keep you in mind, or not. It's never a certain thing,
but making your connections and using them is the best
way to get anywhere, whether you need the job or not.

On the amusing side, I once had the pleasure of job
hunting through a multi-national job placement firm. I
didn't know much about them, and was told they had a
Tech Writer position that they thought I'd be perfect
for. Anyway, it turned out that their office was in a
shopping plaza with a big flourescent sign. I went in
for my 10am "interview", all dressed to kill and with
portfolio in hand. I got in, and was told to fill out
an application. OK, no problem. I hand it in. "Please
wait for so-and so." OK. 45 minutes go by. I ask what
the deal was (as it was then 11:15am). "Oh, sorry.
Yes, she wanted you to take a MS Word and Excel
competancy test." A what? OK, I'll humor them. Scored
horribly on the tests. It turns out that ANY keyboard
shortcut was not recognized by the software, nor were
the buttons on the button bars. I guess I was supposed
to use the menu items. Wish I was told. So then it's
12:30pm, and I'm hungry, and my loafers were killing
me, and now I'm told to wait or come back at 1:30pm as
the interviewer was at lunch. Huh?!? What the
&$^#?!?!?! I had a 10am interview!!! So, I told them I
was leaving and if they decided to get serious about
their placement of the position, to give me a call.
They told me I'd be disqualified for the position if I
took off. I told them that I'd jumped through their
hoops and did everything they asked, and that this was
absolutely ridiculous. I gave them my card and told
them to call me when they wanted to conduct a serious
interview. I left tired, hungry, sore, but happy.

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l