Job Hunting Stories

Subject: Job Hunting Stories
From: Kathy Frost <KFrost -at- Partnerware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 07:47:12 -0500

Since I'm going to be out looking for a job starting next week (I'm being
laid off after 2 1/2 years) I was a little panicked to learn that for every
IT position posted in our area, employers are getting somewhere in the
neighborhood of 400-600 responses. This means to find a job, you're going
to have to change careers, do something extremely creative with your resume
to get it noticed, or find alternative ways to find a job.

I'm interested in alternative ideas. I'd like to hear from the list
(offline) about the most inventive or unusual way you found a job, or
suggestions for ideas you think might work in a down economy. I'll write up
the answers as an article and submit it to Eric for the website, with a copy
to everyone who replies.

I just joined a local Job Club of several hundred laid off IT people who
meet a couple times a week for networking and have some workshops, like how
to write resumes and interview practice. I'm told it's a great support
group and they email job possibilities around the group. This might be an
idea for other areas of the country hard hit by layoffs.

So, send me your best, even over the top, ideas. <g> I'd love to hear from
you.

Kathy Frost
Respond offline to kfrost -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l