RE: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2002
From: "Blount, Patricia" <PATRICIA -dot- BLOUNT -at- ca -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:43:51 -0400

Hi,

Is there an acceptable standard for documenting several levels of an expanded file structure? For example, in a certain product, the GUI features a file tree on the left pane. Clicking a first-level plus sign expands the tree. Clicking a second level plus to open still more options and so on, until you get to about four and five levels deep. (The right pane updates with various settings.)

How do you describe the procedure of expanding to the fifth level? We have dozens of procedures to document and each appears to require at least five steps. I'm wondering if it is acceptable to use menu documentation conventions for this, such as "Expand file tree to File1, File1.1, File 1.1.1, File 1.1.1.1" with commas or perhaps arrows, but I am concerned users will incorrectly interpret the instruction refers to menu commands.

Thoughts, anyone?

Many thanks.

patty

Patricia A. Blount
CA Education
Supervisor: Technical Writing
Computer Associates International, Inc.
One Computer Associates Plaza
Islandia, NY, 11749
+1 631 342- 3528
fax +1 631 851-8534
patricia -dot- blount -at- ca -dot- com

"Their our know miss steaks in this cent ants." -Certified by MS Word Spellcheck.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l