RE: techwr-l digest: May 16, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: May 16, 2002
From: "Blount, Patricia" <PATRICIA -dot- BLOUNT -at- ca -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:40:48 -0400

[snip from Karen ]
Generally, I don't think much of writing tests. I find I can usually (Note,
that I said, usually. There are, as always, exceptions to any generality.)
predict the quality of writing from the way a person uses language verbally.
If you are unable to speak well, you will usually have trouble writing well.
If you can't use proper grammar verbally, you won't be able to use proper
grammar in writing. If you can't organize your thoughts verbally, you will
probably be unable to organize them in writing. Most people with whom I
interact tend to write the way they speak and vice versa. Still, I think
that chatting at length with a candidate tells me more about the candidate
than a writing test, even a candidate without any technical writing samples
to offer.
[Patty Blount] [/snip from Karen]

Karen, if that were true, I'd most likely be living on the streets! I am probably the exception to the generality you noted, but nevertheless, my speaking voice is simply atrocious. I stammer, talk too fast, end sentences with prepositions, mispronounce words and use lots of slang. Ever watch The Nanny? People often tell me that I sound like Fran Drescher. (I'd much prefer to look like her!)

I do not write like that. My writing, regardless of genre, is typically quite fluid and grammatically sound. I think it's because when I write, I take the time to edit and tweak. One does not get this opportunity with speech; once it's out of your mouth, it's too late! In fact, I believe this is why I enjoy writing so much. When I speak, I am often perceived as uneducated ( I am not.). People seem to be genuinely surprised when they find out I possess any degree of intelligence. So, I rely on email rather than the telephone. In fact, my phone bills are typically under $50 per month, I detest it so much.

Interviews during which I took tests generally turned out better than those when I did not. To land this job, I prepared an extensive portfolio in both hard copy and electronic formats. The day before the interview, I dropped it off at the front desk, hoping that the interviewer would have no doubt as to either my intelligence or ability. Here I sit, so it was a good move.

I've often wished for a comical text cloud hanging over my head, filled with red corrections, so that what is actually heard would be error-free. Now that Star Trek has released another franchise (Enterprise), I find myself wondering where one can purchase a Universal Translator, set to translate a New Yawk accent into "proper English".

I am hoping to take a Broadcaster's Speech class someday soon.

Patty

-who lives on "Lawn Guyland"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l