Re: CD Release of Documentation

Subject: Re: CD Release of Documentation
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

> My company would like to release our product manuals
> on CD. The manuals are
> created in Framemaker 6 and then distilled to PDF.
> Simple enough. However,
> I would like to make the CD a little more than a
> listing of the file names.
> I'd like to create an interface that loads when the
> CD is run that allows
> access to the various manuals. (Click on a link to
> the manual type stuff.)
> However, I'm not sure how to proceed with that. One
> thought I had was to
> create a PDF that acts as the interface to the
> manuals. Is this standard
> procedure? Or do you have better, strong, faster
> ideas? <grin> I'd
> appreciate any examples/help you can offer.

Sure, you can use a "doorway" PDF file. If you do
that, I'd install Acrobat Reader onto the CD so it
runs off the CD, in case the user doesn't have Reader
installed). Ship a bundled version of Reader with the
CD as well. For info on installing Reader onto a CD,
see http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1bb72.htm
(though it's for Reader 4, it should be the same for
Reader 5).

To create the aurorun, once everything's installed,
create a txt file with the body:

[autorun]
open=AdobeAcrobatReader\32bit\AcroRd32.exe
Contents.pdf

Where the open path is the path from the CD root to
the Reader application executable and Contents.pdf is
the name of your "doorway" PDF file.

Name this txt file "autorun.inf" (no quotes) and
install it to the root of the CD.

When the CD is inserted into the drive, if the PC
allows autorun, the doorway PDF will be launched in
Acrobat Reader off the CD, regardless of whether or
not the user has Reader installed on the PC.

Feel free to email me offlist for more info should you
need it.

- Goober

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com