RE: CD Release of Documentation

Subject: RE: CD Release of Documentation
From: Stephen McDermott <Stephen -dot- McDermott -at- PREMERA -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:38:45 -0700

I've seen a "cover" with pdf and HTML for these types of releases. It
depends on your preference (or, more accurately, your customers).

HTML Pro: A little more freedom in organization, more color choices than FM
(for borders, etc.).
HTML Con: Users are accessing Acrobat Reader through their web browser.
(memory usage in large documents, delay, potential message client problems
if your pdf's have tie-in's to other applications)

pdf. Pros: Easier to produce with existing tools. Users are using one tool
only for viewing documentation, thus, will run faster.

pdf Cons: May appear plain unless you spice it up and produce it in Acrobat
or Pagemaker (or use a WHOLE lot of text boxes <G>).

Steve McDermott