Problems with fonts in Acrobat

Subject: Problems with fonts in Acrobat
From: "Gilda Spitz" <gspitz -at- longview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:31:12 -0400

Hope someone can help me with this.

We use Framemaker 6.0 to write our books, and then Acrobat Distiller
4.05 and the Acrobat Distiller printer driver to generate pdf files. We
use Garamond for the main text in the books, and Arial for the headings.
For various character tags in the main text, we use bold or italics.

Several questions:

1. If we use our Xerox office printer to print an Acrobat file,
everything looks fine. But if we use the HP printer, some of the
headings in Arial look weird - the letters bunch up or separate in
unusual combinations. Why does that happen? Why would the printer make
a difference?

2. We recently sent out some books to be translated. The translation
agency sent back the translated Frame files, and also an Acrobat file
that they had generated. When we printed that Acrobat file, all the
fonts are suddenly bigger, and bolded words "run over" on to the
adjacent text. Why does that happen? Would it happen with our original
pdfs?

3. I'm guessing that all this can be fixed by using the correct settings
in our Distiller printer driver and the Distiller job options, but I'm
not sure exactly what they are. (I thought we had them right in the
first place, but apparently not.) Any ideas?

4. If we can't get this to work properly, would our only option be to
switch from Garamond to Times New Roman? I love the look of Garamond, so
I would consider this an absolute last resort.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation Services
Longview Solutions Inc.