Re: Problems with fonts in Acrobat

Subject: Re: Problems with fonts in Acrobat
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:56:06 -0400

Gilda,

I'm reasonably certain the problem is that you are using the PCL driver for the HP printer instead of using the PS driver. If you do not embed your fonts in the PDF, you will encounter the kinds of difficulties you are having.

Inspect your Distiller settings and make sure you are embedding all fonts (you should also turn on subsetting, with a value of 99%).

Good luck,

Dick

Gilda Spitz wrote:

Hope someone can help me with this.

We use Framemaker 6.0 to write our books, and then Acrobat Distiller
4.05 and the Acrobat Distiller printer driver to generate pdf files. We
use Garamond for the main text in the books, and Arial for the headings.
For various character tags in the main text, we use bold or italics.

Several questions:

1. If we use our Xerox office printer to print an Acrobat file,
everything looks fine. But if we use the HP printer, some of the
headings in Arial look weird - the letters bunch up or separate in
unusual combinations. Why does that happen? Why would the printer make
a difference?

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l