Re: Reporting indecent spam

Subject: Re: Reporting indecent spam
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:44:22 -0500

To some extent, we CAN fight back. Easy if I get SPAM - especially one of those pyramid schemes (illegal), Porn (vile and disgusting), or an offer from a corrupt Nigerian official wanting to park his/her ill-gotten millions in my bank account (that one also gets forwarded to the pertinent government agency) - from a Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, or even (and I couldn't believe this one!) AOL. I just forward (and you need to forward it so it has all the headers) it to abuse -at- domain name.com (or net or whatever). Those people usually get disconnected from that e-mail address, at least.

The ones that come from something like soandso -at- gooddeals -dot- com are a little more difficult, but can sometimes be traced back to the ISP (check with www.samspade.org) and you can forward it to abuse -at- domainname -dot- com or whatever. I've managed to get a few of those disconnected, too. Seems like the real disgusting garbage comes out of Korea, and I'm guessing the ISP there doesn't care.

Jo Byrd

jrondeau wrote:

Before we all get chastised for furthering an off-topic discussion, I'd just like to let those who care know that hotmail seems not to be the culprit in this case. My primary account, which is protected from much and which I take good care of (the one from which this message is posted), has received at least one of these obscene messages a day for, I guess, about the past month. Only time I've ever been truly spammed. I delete unread and get on w/ my life, intending to investigate or complain further and lacking the time and energy to act on my intentions.

So -- hotmail would appear not to be the origin of the problem. And I, for one, am grateful to the list for putting up with the off-topic discussion, to let others know about the problem. Not glad, but it is useful info for me if I ever try to figure out what's going on with my account.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l