Query: FM/PDF link between manuals

Subject: Query: FM/PDF link between manuals
From: David Castro <email -at- davidcastro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

I have been in search of the answer to a quandary I have. I've looked in the FrameUser's archive, the Acrobat Talk archives, the Techwr-L archives, and Google's newsgroup archives, to no avail.

I have a set of manuals that I maintain in FrameMaker. Each manual has its own .book file. I make links between the manuals (For more information see "Fooing the Bar," on page 37 of the Foo-Bar User's Guide). But when I generate the PDFs using Acrobat Distiller, the links outside of a PDF are looking for a PDF named after the FrameMaker source file, instead of the FrameMaker book file. That is, instead of linking to FooBarUG.pdf (where the book file is named FooBarUG.book), it looks for foobar_chap3.pdf (where the source file for the chapter linked to is named foobar_chap3.fm).

Do you know how to force the PDF to generate such that links between PDFs will work as I need them to?

-David Castro
email[at]davidcastro[dot]com
http://jsp.davidcastro.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l