Re: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone

Subject: Re: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:08:47 -0800

The same applies with my SO. A CPA & Certified Internal Auditor,
and currently redirecting life into programming. Not a dummy,
but exhibits these same characteristics.

I placed a list of shortcuts (Ctrl-X = cut, Ctrl-V = paste, etc.)
and other keyboard tricks on the monitor in an attempt to help
convey these. Until I did this, I had to re-teach them constantly.

I think some folks get into a particular pattern of behavior,
it works, and they see no reason to change it. They take any
suggestion of a 'better/faster/easier' method as a direct
insult and assault, and they actively resist the change.

This same type of person also tends not to explore the
capabilities of the product, not to learn anymore than exactly
what is taught, and not to delve into the details of the
available tools. (sounds like the typical Werd user, eh!)

I am always looking for a faster/easier/new way to do things,
so as you can imagine, our shared computer use is constantly
at odds with each other! Our system defaults do NOT agree,
but since I'm more flexible and can handle change better,
I leave the preferences set to the um, beginner's mode.

As for changing behavior or changing documentation to suit
such people, a fine line has to be drawn between providing
enough information for such people, and insulting a more
flexible user. I feel it's better to insult users a bit,
than to provide less that is necessary for the low end user.

A class dedicated to advanced techniques for XXX product
seems to work, if they can be persuaded (by upper management)
that they NEED to attend tends to work.

An occasional explaination of just one shortcut also
works. Any more than one overloads their brain, so don't
even try. This may have to be repeated a few times to sink
in enough to become routine though.

In the case of my SO, it's plain and simple, I'm doomed to
be forever faced with insultingly plain system defaults.

CB
---------------------------------
. . do they drag the file into the mail composition window? No.
Do they use keyboard shortcuts? No. They find the Insert menu
. . . and navigate around in a File Open window until
they can locate the file, which is sitting right on their desktop.

Similarly, they know how to close a window, but not how to minimize
it. . .

So what is it? What is the connection between the ability to learn
and use shortcuts and right brain dominance? Is there one? Am I just
imagining this?
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access