RE: RoboHELP Office 2002 vs. Webworks Publisher 6

Subject: RE: RoboHELP Office 2002 vs. Webworks Publisher 6
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:11:22 -0700

Caroline Bujak wrote:

| Currently, my department has both Webworks Publisher 6 and RoboHELP
2000.

| I am trying to justify the cost of upgrading to RoboHELP Office 2002
| because I find RoboHELP more user-friendly. Besides both being able
| to support Frame as source files, what is the difference between
| Webworks Publisher 6 and RoboHELP 2002? Do they both support all
| browser types?

According to studies we have performed with some of our clients,
producing online Help systems with FrameMaker and RoboHelp is between 3
and 8 times more costly over the lifecycle of a typical software product
than doing exactly the same work using FrameMaker and WebWorks
Publisher. If you are using FrameMaker to create your content, you
should not consider using RoboHelp but instead should use WebWorks
Publisher.

It is incorrect to say that both products "support Frame as source
files." Only WebWorks Publisher allows you to produce online Help
directly from source files authored in FrameMaker. With RoboHelp, you
must export your FrameMaker documents to .mif format and then import
them individually into FrameMaker. Usually, there is a lot of manual
adjustment in Robohelp iin order to make the Help ready to distribute.
This entire process must be repeated every time your software
application is updated and your FrameMaker source files change. This
process is extremely tedious and costly.

If you must localize your content for non-English markets, multiply the
tedium and cost by the number of target languages you must support.

It's not a practical solution.

| In addition, does anyone know when Webworks 8 is coming out? What
features
| will be in version 8?

Anyone who knows the answers to these questions is under NDA and cannot
answer them.

| I'm asking this because if I can justify having to
| upgrade to Webworks Version 7 or 8, then since we're already spending
the
| money for an upgrade, we can buy RoboHELP 2002 instead.

Upgrade from WWP6 to WWP7. Get your FrameMaker templates solidified.
Build a template in WWP7, and never look back.

Regards,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker & WebWorks Publisher
Consulting & Training on RoboHelp
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users