Re: RoboHELP Office 2002 vs. Webworks Publisher 6

Subject: Re: RoboHELP Office 2002 vs. Webworks Publisher 6
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

> Currently, my department has both Webworks Publisher
> 6 and RoboHELP 2000.

Why both? If you're a FrameMaker shop, WWP is all you
need.

> I am trying to justify the cost of upgrading to
> RoboHELP Office 2002 because
> I find RoboHELP more user-friendly. Besides both
> being able to support Frame
> as source files, what is the difference between
> Webworks Publisher 6 and
> RoboHELP 2002? Do they both support all browser
> types?

RoboHelp does NOT support FrameMaker source files. It
IMPORTS MIF (which you export fro FrameMaker) and at
point of import it re-renders it into an HTML form for
use with RoboHTML. You're then stuck in RoboHTML, or
have to re-import from FM and start over every time
you author Help. WWP allows you to use your FM source
and maintain your FM source. The only conversion WWP
makes is from FM to your finished output. You maintain
your FM files always.

> In addition, does anyone know when Webworks 8 is
> coming out? What features
> will be in version 8? I'm asking this because if I
> can justify having to
> upgrade to Webworks Version 7 or 8, then since we're
> already spending the
> money for an upgrade, we can buy RoboHELP 2002
> instead.

Huh? 7 came out not too long ago, and since Frame 7
came out, Quadralay released an update for WWP 7.
Given all that, I suspect version 8 is a ways off. I'm
still baffled at why you need both WWP and RH. Did you
check out the new GUI on WWP 7? No, still not WYSIWYG
- impossible given the workflow you use with WWP,
really. But the new UI is slick, very slick.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l