Re: Motivation - Update

Subject: Re: Motivation - Update
From: Kate O'Neill <kate -at- kathleen -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:36:07 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Kate O'Neill <kate -at- kathleen -dot- net>
> >How do you stay motivated on a Project That Will Not Die?
>
> Kate,
>
> Perhaps my response in this thread yesterday was misunderstood. I suggested that the need for a regular paycheck is adequate to motivate me.

And perhaps my question, quoted above, was misunderstood.
I'm motivated by pay, too. It keeps me going to the office
every day. But once I'm there, if my mind goes dim because
I don't have a sense of direction in my work, I'm not much
good to anyone. Sometimes, just asking the manager for help
isn't much use: not all project managers know how to deal
with technical writing projects.

I suspect we've all been part of projects that have dragged
whether because of feature creep, "just one more review,"
or what-have-you. As a contractor, we don't typically have
a lot of influence on project management and schedules. How
does one stay focused with a blurry project?

- Kate O'

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l