RE: HTML-format e-mail

Subject: RE: HTML-format e-mail
From: Brianne Keating <Brianne -dot- Keating -at- schwans -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:57:59 -0500

We have recently developed an E-Letter that is delivered to about 23,000
employees. Since all software/hardware/intranet connections are pretty
standard throughout the company, we didn't have to worry about a lot of
issues that others might have to take into consideration.

How we did it:
I, like Geoff would like to do, designed the graphics and set it up with the
html editor in Dreamweaver. I then uploaded all the graphics to an image
folder on our intranet server.

Now, the question was, how the heck do you get the html into the email?
Outlook Express. Not regular Outlook. Outlook Express offers you an HTML
editing feature very similar to how FrontPage is set up. If you take the
html straight from the TEXT EDITOR in Dreamweaver or Notepad (don't copy &
paste from the wysiwyg), and paste it into the html editing section, voila!

Since we don't have Outlook Express at work, we mailed it to ourselves from
home, then just forwarded it on to the mass audience.

Someone asked what the benefit of sending it as an attachment, a link, or as
html would be. Our answer when we developed ours is that:

1.) No, we didn't want to send it as an attachment and bulk up people's
mail.
2.) No, we didn't want to send it as a link; people will delete those
without even looking.
3.) Yes, we wanted them to open the message, see a flashy e-letter and
click on the links inside the letter that took them to our site for more
information about our university.

Hope this helps!

Brianne Keating
Technical Writer