persuading (was Release notes: term for bugs)

Subject: persuading (was Release notes: term for bugs)
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

Johnathan West Wrote:
Technical writers IMO have a valid input in terms of persuading their
companies of the need to write design specs, and being in a position to
help with getting the information written down clearly and unambiguously.

I agree. And they also have a place for writing procedures and processes that the company goes through to get its work done.

But _how_ do you make those persuasive points. The needs of a small company (under....maybe 15 people)are far different from the needs of a larger company (say around 50 or so employees), which are different from a company of 200 people, and so on. Obviously, the more people you get working towards the same goal, the more you need guidelines of varying detail that everyone buys into and follows to reach that goal. That's how you avoid goof ups like multiple people working on the same task, or conflicting GUIs. But how do you convince the people who were used to just yacking in the hallway about a new idea that their ideas should be presented in a meeting, and documented before implementation begins? I guess I'm thinking of my own experience, where we tried to convince those in charge a change was needed, but they rejected it out of scepticism and a little paranoia........

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l