RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RFP/proposal writer

Subject: RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RFP/proposal writer
From: "Jane Green" <c -dot- j -dot- green -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 05:59:42 -0700

Hi. I was chiming in late to Dick Schellens' request for help so I replied
to him off-list. I found this list several years ago and have learned so
much from you all. I thought there might be other lurkers out there like me
who would like to continue hearing more from list members who write
proposals.

As I mentioned to Dick:

I've been writing proposals as a freelancer for only a few years. I slipped
into it when a friend approached me about writing a response to a GSA
standing solicitation for document conversion services. I agreed to do it
not knowing what I was getting myself into -- the solicitation was a
117-page, single-spaced bear with seven amendments and one modification.

So, my first proposal was a tremendous, trial-by-fire learning experience.
Its preparation from start to finish spanned about seven months. During
that time the company for which I wrote the proposal sent me to two
workshops and a pre-award conference and I also took an online
proposal-writing class through UCLA extension. (Luckily, the company was
awarded the multiple award contract!)

One textbook for the online class was Proposal Preparation (2d Ed.) written
by Rodney D. Stewart and Ann L. Stewart. It's been a great help, but may be
out-of-print. I also received great advice, support and guidance from this
list, in particular from John Posada, and from the instructors of the
workshops and classes even after the courses were finished.

My most recent proposal was submitted two weeks ago and we learned on Friday
that the company was awarded the contract. I almost broke my arm patting
myself on the back until I realized I'd better get back to work ... which I
should do now.

best,
Janie

C J Green, Editing/Writing
Los Angeles, California

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Stephen Wright

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l