RE: opportunities in dist ed course design or library science

Subject: RE: opportunities in dist ed course design or library science
From: "Dave Murray" <davemurray -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:41:38 -0400

> Hello Whirlers, since technical writing and web design contracts are in
> short supply right now, I'd like to move into a new field. There are two
> university programs I'm interested in: technology in distance
> education and
> training (designing online courses) and library, archival and information
> studies.
>
> Does anyone have any information on the opportunities available in either
> these fields. Has anyone made the transition from tech writing to either
> dist ed design or library science? Both tie into technical communications
> quite nicely but I don't want to end up in another shrinking market.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robyn Schell

I don't know much about online course design, but the library science field
is growing. A large percentage of librarians are expected to retire in the
near future. Corporations and law firms often employ librarians, as do
public school systems and towns. In this area (MA) there is even a
telephone "help-desk" staffed by senior librarians that other librarians can
call for assistance.

My wife is a high-school librarian and she loves it. Someone once asked her
why she was going to be a librarian when "the internet is making printed
matter obsolete," and she replied that a librarian's job is more about
knowing how to classify where to look for information than just sorting
books and magazines.

It's possible to get a library/information-science degree online. The CT
State University system offers an library/information-science degree program
online http://onlinecsu.ctstateu.edu/index.real?action=Welcome , and I'm
sure there are others out there as well.

Feel free to email me off-list if you'd like more info.

Good luck,

Dave Murray

Technical Documentation & Online Help Systems

mailto:davemurray -at- attbi -dot- com
http://home.attbi.com/~davemurray/tw.htm

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l