STC backstabbing?

Subject: STC backstabbing?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:07:12 -0400

Brute* "call me Caesar" Byfield observed: <<I believe in collective action,
but when I consider the backstabbing and exploitation that are the norm in
the STC (which you'd think would have at least a tendency to believe in
solidarity), I have no faith that many other writers would do the same for
me.>>

* For the non-classically inclined: "Et tu, Brute?" was Caesar's closing
line when he discovered that his trusted Brutus (the anglicized form of the
Latin Brute) had knifed him too, along with the others who had lined up to
make Caesar salad.

For what it's worth, I've been a member for 11 years now, and my back
remains unpierced. The same can be said of all the STC colleagues I
currently stay in touch with--and have been in touch with for much of the
time I've been a member. It seems likely that Bruce, like the late Andrew
Plato, once had a bad experience with STC and has chosen to overgeneralize
that experience to the entire organisation. Tsk.

Any large organization develops internal politics, and typically, the more
aggressive folks indulge most heavily in those politics. I don't doubt there
are bad apples in any bunch, and the larger the bunch, the more of them
you'll find, so with 25 000 members, STC undoubtedly has a few aggressively
bad apples. I have yet to meet them, but don't doubt for a minute they're
out there. But let's be realistic here folks. "The norm?" I don't think so.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l