Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Increasing File Size - Please Help

Subject: Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Increasing File Size - Please Help
From: Anthony <anthony_colello -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

My partner and I just finished work on an eight page
brochure for my current employer. Although it is not
the best tool for the job, we assembled the final
brochure in Word 97 for ease of editing once our
contract is up.

During our development phase, my partner and graphical
illustrator would make changes to the template, create
a PDF, and forward it to the manager for input. In
those cases, our five page template went from a little
under 1.4MB MS Word file to 413K as a PDF.

In the end, I had to do the final layout of the
document. At this time it expanded to eight pages
(from five) and the file size went to a 2.23MB as a
Word file. When I created the final PDF it exploded
to just under 2.6MB!

While I can accept the increase in file size in the
Word file due to the additional content, I do not
understand how the PDF could be increasing the size of
the file this much.

To decrease the file size I have change the options on
Distiller to lower dpi levels and changes the level of
detail of graphics down to the minimum. None of it
helps. Further, I've tried printing directly to
Distiller as well as using the toolbar "PDF" button
Acrobat placed in Word 97. Both create equally large
PDF files.

As a final experiment, I took my partner's original
1.4 MB template file I mentioned earlier and generated
a PDF on my computer of it. The resulting file was
not 413K, but 2.76MB!

I need help...can anyone shed some light on what I am
doing wrong?

- Anthony

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l