RE: real tech writers?

Subject: RE: real tech writers?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:26:03 -0400

Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>That doesn't mean I don't try my best a graphics, layout, design, and
>execution, but I recognize that I do a much poorer job than a competent
>Technical Artist (or whatever title is more appropriate) would do. I worked
>with one early in my career. She was a pain in the butt, but she was a
>competent Technical Artist.

I've worked with technical illustrators on a couple of occasions, and whatever they cost was well worth it. I probably have more experience with both graphic arts (layout, typography, printing technology) and with technical illustration than do the majority of tech writers; but the huge advantage a real illustrator brings to the job, aside from a deeper knowledge of that aspect of communication arts, is productivity. An illustrator can come back with a dozen good figures in the time it takes me to come up with two or three mediocre ones. It's a false economy to ask writers to do their own hardware drawings. (I have no problem with writers doing their own screen grabs for software manuals, however.)

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l