Re: real tech writers?

Subject: Re: real tech writers?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

Aye, lad, it is a different world. More's the pity, if you ask me.

As a matter of fact, that's how I remember the question being phrased: "Would
you hire a programmer...?" I can certainly imagine that a lot of people would
NOT hire a programmer without a specific Computer Science degree.

You know, you can teach tools and skills, but you can't teach attitude, or so I
believe. If that makes me a throwback or reveals my age and lack of
flexibility, well so be it.

But you know something? I still get offered the occasional
programming/development job, and I haven't worked actively in programming for
20 years! (Maybe I just know how to write a resume. <g>)

Tom
--- jarnopol -at- Interaccess -dot- com wrote:

> At 09:31 AM 6/26/02 -0700, Tom Murrell wrote:
> <snip>
> >Not only would I; I WAS one. I had 6 weeks formal training in computer
> >programming. But apparently several employers found my five plus years of
> >experience more than adequate to offer me jobs even though I lacked a
> >degree in a computer-related field.
>
> it's a different world now Tom. I suspect that both you and i are of an
> age where it was rare to have a degree in computers. I know I was a cobol
> programmer before I entered tech writing. It wasn't so much that I was "an
> expert" in Cobol - I wasn't, but I thoroughly understood the business
> process of the company where I was working and was the only person who
> could "translate" between the business users, particularly sales and
> marketing, and the programmers.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 06/16/02
--Proud Vietnam Veteran. I am NOT a victim.--

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l