Re: real tech writers?

Subject: Re: real tech writers?
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:52:16 -0600

> As I pointed out in my earlier post, I'm not a degree snob. But some of
you are,
> especially those of you without one <return snipe to Christine>.

(SNIP)

> To all of you who bristle at the degree/certification thing, consider
this:

> Would you hire a programmer w/o a degree in systems?

Yes. We have, and they are great. It's the quality of their output that
counts. It's a case-by-case analysis of each individual's talent, of
course.

> Would you fly in a plane built by engineers w/ only "on the job training"?

We won WW2 with planes built by folks with on the job training.
Engineering - that is, designing the plane itself - requires significant
and detailed knowledge of physics, materials science, mathematics, and other
disciplines. Exactly what was taught in your TW courses that is similar to
the teaching of advanced materials science to an aeronautics engineer? You
need to know physics, and a degree in physics is a profoundly strong
indicator to an employer that you indeed know physics. I'm not sure that a
TW degree by itself indicates to a business that you can write a decent
training manual for environmental software. The degree certainly isn't a
negative indicator, of course.

> Would you take your car to a non-certified mechanic?

Yes. I have. Like the programmers above, it's a case-by-case thing. If
they do good work (usually via referral) I don't care. Besides, it's little
solace to me if my car quits 3 minutes after leaving the shop if the guy was
certified.

> No restaurant w/more than 3 stars employs a chef without a degree from a
"real"
> culinary institute, preferably from the Culinary Institute of America.

Snobbery indeed!. I can live without 3 star (or is it "3-star"?) or
multiple Michelin spoons. If that's what their customers want, fine and
dandy. The restaurant is catering to the needs/whims of its clientele. I
thought people went to restaurants to eat the food, not marvel at the chef's
degree.

> Just wondering. Not griping.
>
> janet

Janet, if your TW degree has by itself made you a better tech writer, or
it's a successful marketing tool, bravo. You got bang for your buck. If
it's made you feel better, or you've received some external validation from
it, fine too.

Not griping back at ya :-)

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l