Re: real tech writers?

Subject: Re: real tech writers?
From: Janet Murphy <janet -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:44:26 -0400

As I pointed out in my earlier post, I'm not a degree snob. But some of you are,
especially those of you without one <return snipe to Christine>.

I never said only "degreed" TW's are qualified. I said, having a degree makes me
feel like a legit TW. Technical communications is a discipline, same as
engineering, programming, graphic design, et al. Taking the courses helped me
understand the field better and has absolutely helped me win more projects.

Like most of you, I came to the field from another discipline -- I have a BA in
Radio/TV/Film. After being in TW for 5 yrs with a BA and losing good jobs/projects
to "real" TW's w/ formal training on their resumes, I quickly realized those people
had something I didn't, and the lack of a degree in the field was definitley
hampering my progress.

Further, when I made it clear to my employers and co-workers that I was working on
the Master's Degree in TC, I stopped receiving pushback on my hourly rate (which is
NOT low, BTW).

Credential count. I have them in bunches. I'm always looking for ways to earn more.

To all of you who bristle at the degree/certification thing, consider this:

Would you hire a programmer w/o a degree in systems?
Would you fly in a plane built by engineers w/ only "on the job training"?
Would you take your car to a non-certified mechanic?
No restaurant w/more than 3 stars employs a chef without a degree from a "real"
culinary institute, preferably from the Culinary Institute of America.

Just wondering. Not griping.

janet

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l