RE: The Best TC/TW/TE Education...commentary

Subject: RE: The Best TC/TW/TE Education...commentary
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

> opinion -- ridiculous (e.g., "must have 2 years experience writing
> user
> manuals for amusement park rides..."). John, I DO see your point,
> but isn't
> part of being a tech writer having the ability to translate
> technical
> material into laymen's terms? Of course, that also implies being

I agree with what you say...my only problem is that to do those
things, you must have the job and they aren't giving out the jobs
with creating "user manuals for amusement park rides.".

I'd like to give you an example of something that happened literaly
less than 5 minutes ago...but I cannot jepordize it, since I'm sure
others reading on this list would know what I'm refering to. However,
in generalities, I just got off the phone with an agency telling me
that I have an interview set up for tomorrow. The position involves
writing technical documentation for a "something" that goes by a
general term. However, the client uses a specific term for it. I had
to modify my resume so that the three instances where I have the
experience, I now use the term that THEY want.

Things have changed in the last 18 months. The generalist model may
work AT the job, but it won't get you INTO the job.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
...and everything...is...42
--- Deep Thought