Re: Another Subjective View

Subject: Re: Another Subjective View
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:35:00 -0700

SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

Bruce,

I too think you have the point of the Ben Franklin story completely backwards. He *liked* the shortest version.

Actually, as an ex-English instructor, I feel that I'm on fairly safe grounds. The emphasis is mine, true.

But how do you figure that he liked the shortest version, given that he starts the anecdote by saying that the events inspired a horror of group editing in him?

Someone will have to dig up the original printed version of the anecdote to be sure, though. Beware interpretation!

Well, I didn't include a fascimile of the original manuscript (I don't have it, and, besides, the list doesn't accept attachments), but I gave the original wording. Close enough for the purpose.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l