Re: Tech Writers taking minutes

Subject: Re: Tech Writers taking minutes
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:12:57 +0000

In this environment, taking minutes means recording everything (he said/she replied) except the breathing! I have never >been required to do this before in the 10+ years that I've worked in documentation, but apparently there are other technical writers who >have done it for them in the recent past, so they've made that their >de facto standard.

I used to do this frequently as part of my job as a requirements analyst. It takes a very special set of skills to document developer meetings and such, and I had an excellent teacher in learning this. I had a template for such meetings, and would come out of the meeting with a usable, formatted (footnotes, table of contents, diagrams, etc.) document that would be emailed to all meeting participants within five minutes of the end of the meeting. This was such a valuable skill that I would often be pulled from other duties at the last minute to document what was happening on a white board. (I would copy any diagrams, note who said what, and put in hyperlinks to documents on the company intranet).

I really miss my days of working so closely with developers...At my last gig, I was so far removed from the developers that I didn't even know what language they wrote in.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer, still looking for a job...

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html
Oregon State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/oregon.html

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l