Re: Thanks re Quark v. FrameMaker -- and one more question ...

Subject: Re: Thanks re Quark v. FrameMaker -- and one more question ...
From: John Root <jroot -at- publisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:33:40 -0700

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Root <jroot -at- publisys -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:32:48 -0700
To: Geoff Brown <geoff -dot- brown -at- earthlink -dot- net>

On 6/28/02 1:38 PM, "Geoff Brown" <geoff -dot- brown -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:

> The client has decided to use PageMaker.

>From the frying pan to the fire! You'd have been better off with Quark.

> I'm assured by a consultant the client hired that PageMaker is the best of
> all possible tools,

As a consultant, my best advice to your client would be to find a new
consultant.

> though the book project will contain no graphics, very
> limited page-to-page variation, will consist of dozens of sub-documents that
> will need to be rearranged for each new edition, and will need a new TOC and
> index generated each time.
>
> Oh, well ... does anyone have an idea where the landmines are dealing with
> long docs in PageMaker?

Can't say, but I'm sure you'll find them. I once did the layout and prepress
for a short work of non-fiction in PM. It went okay, but there was no index
or anything special to deal with. As I recall, PM 6.5 only allows for two
master pages (R & L)... bummer.

ciao,
John

John Root