Re: Documenting incremental releases in a What's New

Subject: Re: Documenting incremental releases in a What's New
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 19:19:12 -0400

I'm a little surprised that you even get to make this decision. <g>

The answer depends on a number of things.

1. How many customers do they expect to buy 6.1 as a new product
2. How many people will upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1.
3. How many people will upgrade to 6.1 from a version previous to 6.0
The sale manager should have this information.
Here are the weightings to make your decision.
1. If most of the customers for 6.1 will be new customers, then the
new features don't matter at all. The New Features is a meaningless
pat on the back for the SW designers
2. If most customers are upgrade customers from 6.0, then only the 6.1
features matter.
3. If most customers will upgrade from a version previous to 6.0 then
both sets will be important.

Also, remember that a New Feature section is meaningless unless you
use it to point to those new features and how to use them. Features
that the user can't affect or configure are relatively meaningless
unless they solve a significant problem that the user would know
about.

Irascible in the dog days of summer.\,
-Doc
VerText