Re: Further education required?

Subject: Re: Further education required?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:53:07 -0700

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I don't think it's in anyone's best
interest to fall back to school and wait for bettter times. Particularily if
it's a degree program. Get a job now AND update your skills to earn more. Or, as
the rest of my post continued with, make looking for a job your full-time job
AND update your skills.

No argument here. I've seen too many people get distracted from the job search by taking courses. In fact, I've seen a few who use taking courses as an excuse not to work.

I suppose that courses can distract you from your worries while you're unemployed. Still, when you're unemployed, your job should be finding a job. Any education is an extra.

Without a job it's going to be difficult to pay for any decent courses. Get too
far into debt and it's going to be difficult to keep your head above water even
with a good paying job.

Of course, you don't always need to take a formal course. There's all sorts of self-study guides that you can buy, or even take out from the library. If you have the discipline, these guides are even better than a course, because you can customize your studies to your needs.

"Around he spins and around he spins
darkness is his whole domain -
truth, kiss, promise, dare -
aren't you tired of party games?"