Re: Further education required?

Subject: Re: Further education required?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:28:24 -0700

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

This thread has been showing up on the list a lot lately hasn't it. The schools
must really be busy. ;-)

Last week, a local headhunter told me that he's being swamped by people trying to enter the field. Given the tightness of the market, he can't hold out much hope for them; he mentioned that he was surprised that half a dozen senior writers expressed interest in an intermediate position a few weeks ago.

Looks to me that real-world experience is required now. Experience and
demonstrable skills outweigh a diploma in these circumstances I believe.

Possibly an exception to this comment are specific skill courses, such as programming? If you already have basic writing skills or credentials,these courses show that you're updating your skills, and also help to open up more technical positions - which not only increase the number of jobs you're qualified for, but also make you a candidate for some better paying jobs.

"Around he spins and around he spins
darkness is his whole domain -
truth, kiss, promise, dare -
aren't you tired of party games?"