RE: Re(2): Slow Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Re(2): Slow Tech Writers
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:38:58 +1000

RIGHT! Have we given enough time for the slow technical writers to respond
by now? ;-)

when I work I can do the writing fast or slow....if fast the project are
warned to expect to require a better hefty review, if slow greater accuracy
and even "better" writing and comprehension.

For some projects working fast is an advantage as you can get in amongst it
quickly, for other projects going slow is the only way...if the method of
work and the type of work aren't compatible I try and set the "customer"
perceptions before I begin....if it is a four week technical writing
assignment and you get it done in two, there will be compromises...

regards and thanks,
Sean

To: TECHWR-L

Good point, Jan. I agree.

>Also note that "slow" and "methodical" aren't synonymous. Fast writers
>can work methodically and slow ones can be all over the place. The
>projects you describe really call for methodical writing, not slow
>writing (with 'methodical' having priority over 'fast' whenever there is
>a conflict).

I tend to be a fast writer myself, but I also strive for accuracy. In one
of my previous careers, I sold auto parts. That was a job that required
speed and accuracy. During the busy periods, I would hang up the phone
after finishing with one customer, and it would start ringing immediately.
The pace could get hectic, but I literally could not afford to make
mistakes. An incorrect digit entered in a parts order often meant the
difference between a $3 bag of screws and a $1500 engine block (and a very
unhappy customer). :O

Dave Murray

mailto:davemurray -at- attbi -dot- com
http://home.attbi.com/~davemurray/tw.htm