Re: Further education required?

Subject: Re: Further education required?
From: "Mary Ridgway (Paschetag)" <mary -at- imc2 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:46:17 -0500

Everyone so far has provided some excellent advice, but here's another
angle: what type of job do you want? I'm in the Dallas area, and my
experience has been that Web design jobs range from a specialized career at
a Web development company to an intranet Webmaster at a non-Web company to
freelance opportunities with small companies that can't afford an external
or internal full-time Webmaster. And pretty much anything else that falls in
between. The level of skill needed varies widely depending upon how
specialized/technical the job is.

I work for a Web development company that has very specific divisions of
duties -- we have a tech department, graphic designers, and writers. When we
look to hire someone, we look for expertise in one of those categories. Of
course, we're very cross-functional and it's imperative that we all have a
basic understanding of the requirements of good Web design and how the
programming works, but there is a central focus. Most of the sites we create
have some type of functionality -- you'd need a pretty solid Web programming
background with at least JavaScript and ASP, database knowledge (most have
some type of CRM initative), and an understanding of networking/hosting.

Other smaller companies prefer having more general job descriptions -- one
person is responsible for the writing and graphic design, and possibly the
programming. There are a lot of local companies that need a Web presence,
but don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

Please contact me offlist if I can provide more information -- I'll be happy
to share more thoughts and answer any questions.

Hope this helps!

Mary

mary ridgway (paschetag)
senior content developer