Re: An ethical question

Subject: Re: An ethical question
From: bartelmm -at- appliedbiosystems -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:58:15 -0700

Our estimable Bruce Byfield wonders if he is being overly punctilious about
writing reviews about a company's products.

Bruce, IMHO you are not being overly (or underly) punctilious about this.

If this is not run-of-the-mill marketing collateral, you should ask some
questions: who is the audience? In what forum will this material appear?
If there is even the slightest odor that this material will be presented as
an impartial review (for which the vendor is paying you), I would scurry
away like a quick little bunny.

Bruce, please do not participate in anything that would sully journalists
and their (your) profession. Avoid this PR person because it sounds like
he or she is on thin ice ethically and maybe legally (I am not a lawyer).

Mary B.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l