Legal issues in XSL-FO

Subject: Legal issues in XSL-FO
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:27:22 +0100

We're looking at building a Web service based on XSL-FO or FOP
(Formatting Objects Processor). Basically, this would enable users to
send requests that included an XML-FO document over the Net to our
service, which would return it in their preferred output format. More
simply, this would enable you to convert an XML file to a PDF, TXT or
PostScript file. This Web service is based on work done by

Of these, PDF is going to be the most popular output format. What I'm
wondering is where Adobe stands on all this? Are they keen to enable
third-parties to generate PDFs? (particularly over the Web?) I guess so,
or the FOP project wouldn't have gotten off the ground. I checked the
FOP-USER archives and Adobe's site, but couldn't find any relavent
content. Does anybody have any resources on the open-sourceness of PDF
or Adobe's legal view on these issues? Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
CapeScience - Cape Clear's Developer Support Network

Go to