Re: Legal issues in XSL-FO

Subject: Re: Legal issues in XSL-FO
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:44:40 -0400

Darren Barefoot wrote:

Of these, PDF is going to be the most popular output format. What I'm
wondering is where Adobe stands on all this? Are they keen to enable
third-parties to generate PDFs? (particularly over the Web?) I guess so,
or the FOP project wouldn't have gotten off the ground. I checked the
FOP-USER archives and Adobe's site, but couldn't find any relavent
content. Does anybody have any resources on the open-sourceness of PDF
or Adobe's legal view on these issues? Thanks. DB.

Darren,

You can usually get a pretty good read on questions like this if you post them to comp.text.pdf. My understanding is that PDF is a published, that is, open, standard; and lots of people have tools that create PDFs. Adobe has problems with people violating the EULA on the products they buy from Adobe, but they have nothing to say about people generating PDFs with non-Adobe software. If I have misunderstood your question and you intend to use Adobe software to generate the PDFs for your service, then you should make that clear when you post to comp.text.pdf. Someone there can then give you the skinny on how to contact the right office at Adobe or whether that is even necessary.

Dick

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l