Re: PDF to Word Conversion Tool

Subject: Re: PDF to Word Conversion Tool
From: danlew -at- mindspring -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:57:49 -0400

letoured -at- together -dot- net wrote:

>The trouble is that is that keying in numerical data makes errors -- and he
>has hundreds of pages to do.
>

>You can print a file to it and get a multi-page tiff file at fax resolution. I've
>then used an OCR program, like TextBridge in the training mode to correct the
>data, and saved it to a format needed.
>

>There would be no point to that. You can copy and paste or export the
>text directly from the PDF without going through OCR. The issue is that
>Jim wants to export TABLES, not that he wants to export text. Your
>solution gets him no closer to the solution.

Certainly using Acrobat (the full version, not the reader) to export text would be a
better path to text than performing OCR.

And text _is_ a step closer. Dpending on the table content, it _might_ be posible to
add delimiters to the text and import it into Excel. If the table content is sufficiently
regular some automation could possibly be applied via Word mcro or other means.
If the integrity of numerical data is an issue, it might even be preferable to have some
one insert delimiters manually as opposed to typing in the numbers.

Dan Lewis
Vitel Software, Inc.
Worcester, MA USA

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l