RE: FrameMaker used for Microsoft documentation?

Subject: RE: FrameMaker used for Microsoft documentation?
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

Dave Neufeld said:

> According to their Document Info, the PDF Doc files provided with
> Microsoft Visio 2000 installed on my work PC were authored in FrameMaker
> 5.5.6p145 by the Visio Division of Microsoft on 2/2/2000.
>
> Anyone have the latest (or later) versions of Visio? Is PDF
> documentation provided that you can glean this information from?

Well, I have Visio 2000 from Visio Corp., right before it was purchased by
Microsoft. I'm not surprised that the docs were written in Frame before
Visio was owned by M$.

I have heard that some of MS Press uses FrameMaker for publishing, but
then again, MS Press is nearly it's own separate entity, owned by
Microsoft, and obviously sharing benefits/etc. But MS Press makes an
attempt to put editorial distance between themselves and the mother
company, so again, I'm not too surprised that they use an industry leading
publishing tool.

When I contracted at Microsoft (nearly 3 years on site), I never heard of
anyone using Frame. It was either Word, or... HomeSite. I know several
groups used Frontpage, but most of the web site and online help, at least
at that point, was written in raw HTML using HomeSite as the text editor,
and the MS HTML Help Workshop to create CHMs... Photoshop and PageMaker
also saw some use there...

This was before Visual Interdev was a big deal, and DreamWeaver was in its
infancy... have no idea what they're using over there now. But they've
always used third party tools, when it wasn't in direct competition with
one of their own...

Cheers,

--
John Locke