Re: Pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts?

Subject: Re: Pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts?
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:23:47 -0800

Sears did this starting in 1916, though the idea started
in 1910 & died out in 1940. I've inquired at to find any instruction
manuals, I wasn't able to find one on-line. I'll let everyone
know the response. Anyone ever see the instructions for these houses?

One way to tell if your house is a Sears house is mentioned,
"Every piece of framing lumber for a Sears house was numbered
at the factory for assembly at the construction site." Along
with many of the other hardware, such as door knobs, handles,

Geoff Hart mused -
Eric Dunn pointed out: <<... some fairly complex IKEA furniture
and Tamiya models can be assembled from instructions that are
purely graphical. But, and I don't think I'll get an argument
from anyone, some background or experience with IKEA or Tamiya
is required to assemble their most
complex items.>>

You ain't seen nothing yet. While in Scotland, I read a magazine
article claiming that Ikea is planning to sell simple "build it
yourself" home kits. "Some assembly required" indeed! I can only
imagine the size of the flatpack and the hex keys required for
this monster. <g> Not to mention the task of creating the
500-page purely graphical instructions... <stitch>
Surfy! Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access