Re: W2 vs. 1099...

Subject: Re: W2 vs. 1099...
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:51:19 -0700

> The distinction is between an independent contractor (1099) and a
> quote-contractor-quote who is a W-2 employee of a contracting agency.
> The IRS gets very persnickety in the former case. In the latter case,
> there is no issue; the agency's client can make the rules and provide
> the tools.

It's quite common _and_perfectly_reasonable_ for a client to tell an independent contractor (and anyone else they're paying to do work for them) what tools to use and when to attend project meetings. There's no other way to do a project of significant size and complexity.

Sure, I've done work where the client didn't care what tool I used, but only the projects where I was the only writer and the client had no interest in receiving the source files when I finished.

If you're the only driver on the track, you can do whatever you like. As soon as you add another driver, though, the track owners *should* dictate which direction you should drive and wave the yellow flag to make you hold formation whenever necessary.

Just like tool selection and scheduled meetings, the alternative is chaos.

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!