Re: W2 vs. 1099...

Subject: Re: W2 vs. 1099...
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:33:05 -0700

> If 90% of your work is for the same client, then the IRS
> considers you an employee, whatever the employer says.

Nothing's black and white.

If you do the vast majority of your work for one client, but you have many other small clients at the same time, or over the course of the tax year, I can't imagine being hassled by the IRS. I never have been, nor have any of our clients.

Of course, if it went on for years, you might draw some closer investigation. But I know of a couple of contractors who worked 100% for the same client--totally on site, using the client's equipment--or several years, and were never bothered by the IRS. They finally left when the work dried up, but I'm talking about 4 and 5 years.

*I* certainly wouldn't try that, but who knows what your experience might be?

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!