Re: AW: Fainting goats ate my PDF

Subject: Re: AW: Fainting goats ate my PDF
From: John Root <jroot -at- publisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:40:44 -0700

On 7/18/02 12:30 AM, "Ballenberger Gerd" <gerd -dot- ballenberger -at- siemens -dot- com>
wrote:

> John, you wrote "... I checked out your PDF. You're right, it doesn't print.
> It was choking on the 'e' of Visual Cafe at the bottom of page 1 ..."
>
> How did you find out?

Gerd,

I was actually able to export the PostScript in Acrobat and redistill it
without an error. Go figure... But the new PDF still wouldn't print. So I
used Download Mechanic with verbose error logging to send the PS file to the
printer. This reported the error (invalidfont) in the command awidthshow and
the string on the operand stack. By searching the PostScript for the string
I was able to identify the /216 (é) character code as the offending
character. Replacing this code with a regular 'e' in the PostScript file
eliminated the error and allowed the file to print correctly. I was then
able to edit the PDF to make the same correction. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

ciao,
John