Re: Words that should never be uttered or documented...

Subject: Re: Words that should never be uttered or documented...
From: "Keith Carlson" <kcarlson1391 -at- mchsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:30:36 -0500

I couldn't pass this topic; there's so many newly formed words in the
business arena that can be sooooo irritating. Like "task" used as a verb.

Anyway, some of the words that seem to be irritating to others really do
serve the purpose of better communication. A "Best Practice" is more than
just any procedure or recommendation or tip. There may be many procedures
that will accomplish a task, but a best practice has been proven in industry
to accomplish it in the most efficient way. And a best practice is usually
much broader in scope than a simple tip or recommendation.

In my experience, "best practice" is more descriptive when used correctly.

Keith R. Carlson
Business Analyst/IS Support/Seeker

From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:58:32 -0700 (PDT)

Best Practice: An over-used and misused term that
usually replaces more descriptive terms such as
"procedure," "tip," and "recommendation," all in an
effort to make the speaker/writer appear intelligent.
I will continue to vigorously bash this revolting
buzzword at every opportunity.

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer
Buzzword Buster