RE: Voice Recognition Software...

Subject: RE: Voice Recognition Software...
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:05:51 -0400

<<The Holy Grail in voice recognition has been speaker
independent, full vocabulary. This has not yet been achieved, although
millions of dollars are being spent on research in this area.>>

This is what I was thinking of, and I still suspect it's never gonna happen, for the reasons already stated.

<<However, if you are referring to a system that can accept multiple
users, that type is available now. Each user is maintained in a separate
file so that only one user may use the system at any one time. I believe
that Dragon has a server model that will permit multiple simultaneous
users but each must be on a separate workstation.>>

This is perhaps what was happening on STAR TREK. A system like this that could store enough different people and switch fast enough would admittedly create the illusion of being speaker independent -- and I guess, for all practical purposes, would be.