Re: Voice Recognition Software...

Subject: Re: Voice Recognition Software...
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:14:40 -0400

David Downing wrote:

> <<The Holy Grail in voice recognition has been speaker
> independent, full vocabulary. This has not yet been achieved, although
> millions of dollars are being spent on research in this area.>>
>
> This is what I was thinking of, and I still suspect it's never gonna happen, for the reasons already stated.

There is no technical reason why the user cannot be selected from a
database of previously trained users, using pattern matching techniques
for authentication. However, notwithstanding the fact that signal
processing technology has advanced to the point where practical voice
identification and authentication systems are already in place, I do not
think that it would be commercially worthwhile to apply the technology
to a voice to text application.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-