Word 97 and Styles

Subject: Word 97 and Styles
From: Ruth Charles <ruth -at- tao-group -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:18:09 +0100

Hi all,

A colleague is currently fighting with word 97, and having spent the last few hours peering at her screen and generally failing to sort out the problem she is having with her styles, I wondered if anyone might have some helpful hints. In short the problem is:

We have outline numbered headers in our manuals.
Unfortunately, the level 3 (1.1.1) headings currently refuse to acknowledge the existence of the level 1 (1.1) and 2 (1.) headings:

5.1 (blah)
1.1.1 (blah)
1.1.2 (blah)
5.2 (blah)
1.1.3 (blah)

Answers to obvious questions:
Yes, the 'restart numbering after higher list level' box is checked
Yes, the number format is in the form (level 1).(level2).(level3)
Yes, all the levels are linked to all the appropriate styles
Yes, the *exact, same style* works properly in the other documents (they're all based on the same template)
No, shutting down Word and trying again doesn't fix the problem

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ruth