Re: Word 97 and Styles

Subject: Re: Word 97 and Styles
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:58:52 -0700

Ruth Charles wrote:

We have outline numbered headers in our manuals.
Unfortunately, the level 3 (1.1.1) headings currently refuse to acknowledge the existence of the level 1 (1.1) and 2 (1.) headings:

When I have to use MS Word (which isn't very often, especially now that OpenOffice is available), I've got into the habit of using fields for all numbering, and not even bothering putting them into styles.

Admittedly, the habit's not as convenient as using a style. But it sidesteps problems like this one, and often saves time and frustration in the long run.

Besides, I can somewhat automate the process by creating macros for each level and for restarting each level, then adding the macros to a menu or task bar.

"They had taught me about power and the abuse of power. Evil would always come to me disguised in systems and dignified by law."
-Pat Conroy, "The Lords of Discipline"