Re: About Themes for Fake Names

Subject: Re: About Themes for Fake Names
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:47:27 -0400

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 07:51:30 -0500, bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

>At least twice we've had discussions here about people using names along a theme (like the Three Stooges or members of a famous band) for examples in screenshots. Apparently, we aren't the only ones who do that:

Here is a Friday afternoon puzzler. Here are some of my early network
user lists. See if you can figure out the themes.

List 1 List 2 List 3 List 4 List 5
gfen breid araffles agoodwin astark
jmarple brunyon brhodenbarr jchan bgrimm
nsmith hdrummond jfletcher jwatson mmurdock
nwolfe jdale jvalentine mlane rrichards
pmarlowe jreid scragg mwesley srogers
pwimsey ncharles tcat rqueen sstorm

Scroll down for first set of clues

First clues - full names

List 1
--------
Gervase Fen
Jane Marple
Nayland Smith
Nero Wolfe
Phillip Marlowe
Peter Wimsey

List 2
--------
Britt Reid
Brad Runyon
Hugh Drummond
James Dale
John Reid
Nick Charles

List 3
----------
A.J. Raffles
Bernie Rhodenbarr
John Fletcher
James Valentine
Sam Cragg
Thomas Cat

List 4
---------
Archie Goodwin
Jimmy Chan
John Watson
Margo Lane
Mary Wesley
Richard Queen

List 5
--------
Anthony Stark
Benjamin Grimm
Matthew Murdock
Reed Richards
Steven Rogers
Susan Storm

Scroll down for answers.

Answers - themes

List 1 Fictional Detectives
---------------------------
Gervase Fen (Edmund Crispin)
Jane Marple (Agatha Christie)
Nayland Smith (Sax Rohmer - Detective who pursued Fu Manchu)
Nero Wolfe (Rex Stout)
Phillip Marlowe (Raymond Chandler)
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy Sayers)

List 2 Heros known better by their nicknames
Britt Reid (The Green Hornet)
Brad Runyon (The Fat Man)
Hugh Drummond (Bulldog)
James Dale (The Gray Seal)
John Reid (The Lone Ranger and uncle to Britt)
Nick Charles (The Thin Man)

List 3 Fictional criminals with hearts of gold
----------
A.J. Raffles (Burglar and safecracker)
Bernie Rhodenbarr (Burglar)
John Fletcher (Half of a con-man team)
James Valentine (Safecracker)
Sam Cragg (Other half of the con-man team)
Thomas Cat Cat burglar)

List 4 Sidekicks
----------------
Archie Goodwin (Nero Wolfe)
Jimmy Chan (Father-Charlie Chan)
John Watson (Sherlock Holmes)
Margo Lane (Lamont Cranston aka The Shadow)
Mary Wesley (Boston Blackie)
Richard Queen (Son - Ellery Queen)

List 5 Marvel Comic alter-egos
--------------------------------