Single-sourcing, sort of

Subject: Single-sourcing, sort of
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:25:51 -0500

This doesn't have to do with the actual writing, but with manipulating the writing. But it's the technical writer (me) who has to cope with it.

Our company does a lot of RFP responses. We have a standard RFP response document (in Word) with a couple of hundred standard questions; usually within those is the material to fill in the RFP questions.

Standard practice is for me to go through and match as many questions to boilerplate answers as I can, and answer the new ones if I can. Then I hand the document over to the SME, who types in the number for the ones I didn't do, and I paste in the actual answer that corresponds to that number. He also types in new answers and I edit those and add them to the master RFP document, but that's not important now.

Copying the numbered items from the master RFP document to the individual RFP response is rather a pain. Not a big one, but it's ongoing.

Can you think of any way to type the number in the response document and have it expand to the answer the number corresponds to? The obvious solution would be autotext, but that's static, and the numbers change as new answers get interpolated in.

Any solution can be labor-intensive on a one-time basis, but in the long run has to be less work than just copying and pasting from one document to another. Again, this is Word.

Any suggestions appreciated.
--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"I make mistakes, but I am on the side of Good, ... by accident and happenstance."