Re: Looking for definitive answer re: Are photographs technically considred "Figures"

Subject: Re: Looking for definitive answer re: Are photographs technically considred "Figures"
From: MN Mary <runfox -at- winternet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:11:27 -0500

Photos, graphs, drawings, flowcharts, schematics, diagrams, charts,
illustrations and maps are all labled as "Figure", with a caption and
consecutive numbers.
MN Mary

At 07:22 PM 7/19/02, you wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether calling a photograph in a
>document a "figure" is technically correct? In the SOP's I am working on we
>are including some digital photographs. I had labeled them Picture 1, 2
>etc. Someone else suggested that they are and should be labeled as Figure
>1, 2, 3 etc.
>I checked Chicago Manual of Style and Ruebens Scientific Style Guide and
>don't seem to be any closer to a definitive answer. Chicago talks about
>plates and sometimes calls photographs in a book "illustrations". Ruebens
>wasn't particularly helpful on the subject.
>Have also done a quick search in Tech-Whrl archives.
>Any thoughts? Can anyone point me to a definitive answer/resource? Please?
>Please respond privately. I'll summarize the posts to the list.

"Because a fellow has failed once or twice, or a dozen times, you don't
want to set him down as a failure till he's dead or loses his courage; and
that's the same thing."
--George Lorimer.